Friday, August 16, 2013

A Confession (And a Contest!)

Okay, confession time first.  I don't think of myself a "Christian Author."  Don't get me wrong, I know myself to be a Christian, a lifelong believer, and I'm not in the least reluctant to discuss my faith with anyone.  But when I decided to publish, I wanted to open my books to everyone, not label them or direct them to specific audience.
 
I know there's a huge readership for "Christian Fiction."  But frankly I hoped to steer away from that label. I myself choose to read all genres, constantly searching for a book that entertains, enlightens or even stretches my imagination in a new direction.  I like to be inspired by a story, but I don't really care to have that inspiration "preached" on every page.  I sincerely hope I haven't been guilty of that with the Valley Rise books.
 
I will admit that I felt Spirit-led much of the time while writing. It seemed natural to utilize passages of scripture when they fit into the story, and I spent a great deal of time browsing my husband's various Books of Worship and hymnals for guidance.  As with every story, it at times dictated its own direction and I followed, amazed at the twists and turns it took.  I think it tells a story of love and life enriched and sustained by faith, but life lived in the real world.

Now for the contest part! There is a passage of scripture referred to numerous times throughout the series.  It serves as a reminder whenever Stani gives in to his natural proclivity for a certain behavior. It was even painted on a wall by Emily's mother.  If you've read  Hearts Unfold, you should recall it instantly.  The first person to post it in a comment here will receive a signed paperback copy of Hearts Unfold.  And if more than one of you post it, I might even give away more copies, just because I'm so thrilled to see your response!

Contest ends September 1st.  GO!

2 comments:

  1. I know! I know! But I will recuse myself for obvious reasons. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "IT" (UGH... corny, I know. But I'm afraid I don't know the correct answer! HA! ;)

    ReplyDelete