Friday, April 19, 2013

Cue the Music--The Latest on Shannon's Daughter

This post could also be titled The New Man in My Life-Part Two, because I'm here to tell you some more about Kendall Gregg.  You remember, I hope, that Kendall is the hero (yes, I used the word) of Shannon's Daughter.  Turns out, he really is a hero, a true rescuer of damsels in distress, self-sacrificing, all-around nice guy with a slightly damaged heart of gold kind of  hero.  And he plays a really mean violin. If I thought I was in love a month ago, there's absolutely no question about it now!

What stuns me is how much back story this man keeps revealing.  For a character who was nothing but a name pulled out of thin air a year ago, he brings a mother load of fascinating details to the page. No spoiler intended, he's suffered the premature death of his father, been the focus of an overly dependent mother, lost out tragically at first love, and struggled to be fully appreciated for his musical gift.  And that's just the tip of the iceberg.  Kendall has shouldered all this with grace, accepting his fate without rebellion or bitterness.  In short, he's the kind of man a woman would naturally turn to for support and comfort, because he understands what it is to be vulnerable and wounded. That, along with his drop-dead good looks and his impeccable British manners, of course.

When Kendall first meets Peg Shannon, she's only twelve years old, but even then they are drawn to each other.  Fast forward six years, and when the two meet again, sparks immediately fly. Kendall, intrigued by the adolescent Peg's spirit and charm, is swept off his feet by the more mature version, and Peg--well even at twelve, Peg could appreciate how "yummy" Kendall was. She's more than ready to enjoy his undivided attention at eighteen.

But Kendall is more than just a handsome face. While the sexual tension is high, these two have more in common than desire.  It's through their discovery of one another, both physical and psychological, that their stories emerge.  There, if I do my job properly, you the reader will come to understand what motivates and manipulates each of them and hopefully come to care what happens to them.  As I learn more and more about Kendall, I think you're going to love him as much as I do, and perhaps at times want to rescue from himself. 

I'm at the point in the story when he's about to at least come into his own musically.  His big break is right around the corner, but first he's going to touch Peg's heart with a piece of music which has deep and tragic significance for him. And when Peg's heart is touched, her passion is never far behind.  So cue the music, I'm back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment